Francois-Edouard Picot: ( Paris October 10th 1786 - Paris March 15th, 1868) was a French historic painter during the July Monarchy.
Picot won the Prix de Rome painting scholarship in 1813  , and gained success at the 1819 Salon with his neoclassical L'Amour et Psyché (Louvre) He painted the The Crowning of the Virgin in the curch of Notre-Dame-de-Lorette  and had large commissions for the Galerie des Batailles. He exhibited at the Paris Salon between 1819 and 1839. Elected to the Paris Academy in 1836 Picot was created an officer of the Legion of Honor in 1832
He studied with François-André Vincent and Jacques-Louis David.
* L'Amour et Psyché (Cupid and Psyche, 1817)
* Portrait of Adélaïde-Sophie Cléret (c.1817)
* Portrait of Nicholas-Pierre Tiolier (c. 1817)
* The Annunciation
* The Death of Sapphira (1819) Curch of Saint Séverin.
* Two ceilings in the Louvre (Musée des Antiques)
* Couronnement de la Vierge (The Crowning of the Virgin (Notre-Dame de Loretto)
* L'Etude et le Génie dévoilent l'antique Egypte à la Grèce (Study and Genius reveals ancient Egypt and Greece, 1827)
* Cybèle protège contre le Vésuve les villes de Stabiae, Herculanum, Pompéi et Résina (Cybele protects from Vesuvius the towns of Stabiae, Herculanum, Pompeii and Resina, 1832)
* Léda (1832)
* The Siege of Calais, (1838)
* Peste de Florence (Grenoble Museum)
His pupils include:
* Alexandre Cabanel
* Édouard Théophile Blanchard
* William-Adolphe Bouguereau
* Jean-Jacques Henner
* Gustave Moreau
* Émile Lévy
* Léon Bazile Perrault
* Louis Héctor Leroux
1. ^ Dictionnaire Historique de la France, Burt Franklin Bibliography and Reference Series, Volume II p. 1458
2. ^ Cyclopædia of Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical Literature, by John McClintock, James Strong, p.186, published 1895, Harper & Brothers
3. ^ Letters of Gustave Courbet, Gustave Coubert, ISBN 0226116530, University of Chicago Press, 1992.
4. ^ Schools and Masters of Painting: With an Appendix on the Principal Galleries of Europe, p.439, by Alida Graveraet Radcliffe, published 1887, Appleton and company