Johann Josef Christian: ( 12 February 1706 in Riedlingen; † 22 June 1777 in Riedlingen) was a German Baroque sculptor and woodcarver. His masterworks are considered to be the choir stalls in Zwiefalten Abbey and Ottobeuren Abbey.
Christian's rare double gift as a woodworker and stucco sculptor was equaled only by Joseph Anton Feuchtmayer. In 1744 Christian received a commission to work in Zwiefalten, where until 1755 he created the choir stalls and numerous stucco figures for the high altar and nave and side chapels, working alongside the painter Franz Joseph Spiegler and the stucco master Johann Michael Feuchtmayer and under the direction of the architect Johann Michael Fischer.
Subsequently, Christian was commissioned to work on the Benedictine Monastery Church of the Holy Trinity in Ottobeuren, for which the architect was once again Fischer and for which Christian created the choir stalls, with gilded reliefs, and the organ reliefs. Once again he worked with Spiegler and J. M. Feuchtmayer.
Besides these two major works, he also worked on various smaller projects, including the parish church in Unlingen and the abbey church in Buchau.
Christian and his wife had 10 children, of whom five survived infancy. His son Karl Anton Christian (1731–1810) became abbott of the Benedictine Monastery of St. Trudpert near Münstertal in the Black Forest, and for this church J. J. Christian created a relief painting using a stucco technique for the high altar that is considered unparalleled. Another son, Franz Joseph Christian (1739–1798), became a sculptor and took over his father's workshop in Riedlingen.